Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Sheriff's Office

Dane County Jail

Dane County, Wisconsin is home to three county jails, all located in the Madison area. Also, scroll down the page for additional resources, as well as information on the Dane County Circuit Court, how to report to jail, and Huber Release.

City-County Building Jail

Maximum security
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Madison, WI 53703

Houses residents who are awaiting trial or who do not have work release privileges on their sentences.

Public Safety Building Jail

Medium security
115 West Doty Street
Madison, WI 53703

Houses residents sentenced to jail with work release and medium-security residents. This facility also contains Central Booking, as well as all property, financial, and administrative offices.

William H. Ferris Center

Minimum security
2120 Rimrock Road
Madison, WI 53713

Houses minimum-security residents who are sentenced with work release privileges.

Dane County Circuit Court Info

The initial appearance court is held each weekday. Monday it is at 2:00 PM and Tuesday through Friday it is at 1:30 PM. For additional court date information, please contact the Clerk of Courts. To contact the Clerk of Courts, please call (608) 266-4311 or go to

Reporting to Jail

Where Do I Go to Start My Sentence?

On the date and time set up by the court, go to the Public Safety Building located at 115 W. Doty Street, Madison, WI. Report to the Bail Window on the 1st floor. DO NOT BE LATE! If you fail to report as required, you may be referred to the District Attorney’s Office for an additional crime under Wisconsin Statute 946.425, which is considered a misdemeanor if your sentence is less than 10 days or a felony if your sentence is 10 days or more.

What Can I Bring to Jail?

The storage space in the jail is very limited. Duffle bags, luggage, and electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc., will not be allowed into the jail. You will be required to dispose of any unallowable property prior to entering. The jail will issue you limited items upon your arrival, such as a jail uniform, jail sandals, hygiene items, brassieres, underwear briefs or boxers, thermal underwear shirts, socks, and t-shirts. You may bring the following additional personal items listed below in a disposable bag when you report to jail. You do not need to bring the clothing items if you do not intend to go out on Huber release. All items are subject to final approval by medical staff and jail administration.

  • 5 thermal underwear pants
  • 5 shirts
  • 3 sweatshirts or sweaters
  • 5 pants or shorts (no holes or rips)
  • 1 belt (small buckle, not solid metal, non-braided)
  • 2 pairs of seasonal footwear (basic shoes and boots, no high heels)
  • 1 seasonal jacket
  • 1 pair of winter gloves
  • 1 winter scarf
  • 1 cap or winter hat
  • 1 wristwatch
  • 1 wedding band (only solid metal, no gemstones)
  • 1 backpack-type carrier (only if attending school)
  • 1 medical alert bracelet (verified by jail medical staff upon arrival)
  • 1 pair of eyeglasses with 1 case
  • 2 individual contact lenses with 1 case
  • 1 contact solution (4 ounces or less in an original and unopened container, no glass or breakable container)
  • 1 pair of dentures
  • 1 denture adhesive (2.4 ounces or less in an original and unopened container, no glass or breakable container)
  • prescription medications (must be current and in the original prescription container)
  • valid state-issued identification card and social security card if you intend to work or seek employment while incarcerated
  • medically necessary equipment, such as splints, braces and sleep apnea machine, etc. (water for sleep apnea machines will be provided by jail medical)  

Once you have been classified and assigned to a housing unit, you will have the ability to purchase additional items from the commissary, such as hygiene items. If you are indigent, hygiene items will be made available to you. You may also request permission from jail staff to have additional personal property dropped off at the jail during designated times. Hygiene items will be not be allowed to be dropped off unless approved by jail medical staff. 

Jail Rules

Upon reporting to the jail to serve your sentence, you will have access to the Jail Resident Handbook. The handbook contains the jail rules, including specific rules while out on Huber Release if you are deemed eligible. You will be expected to comply with all of the jail rules. Failure to do so may result in discipline and affect your ability to exercise Huber release privileges.

OWI Assessment

If you are serving a sentence for an OWI conviction, you are required to have an OWI assessment. Ideally, this assessment would be completed prior to serving your sentence. If the assessment has been completed, you must provide documentation. If you have not completed the assessment, you are required to schedule an appointment in your county of residence and provide documentation. You may be allowed to attend the assessment in Dane County and any adjacent County while on Huber Release. An assessment must be completed or scheduled prior to your report date in order to utilize your Huber privileges. 

What is Huber Release?

If you are sentenced to jail, the court may grant you Huber release privileges. The jail may allow Huber release for employment, child or family care, school, treatment, etc. Your criminal history and jail behavior may impact your ability to exercise Huber. The Huber program has a strict set of rules. All activities on Huber release must be verified and approved by jail staff. You will be allowed out of the jail only for the approved activity, including travel time.  You may be allowed out of the jail for a maximum of 6 days per week. This applies to your employment or any combination of employment and other approved Huber release activities. Failure to follow the pre-reporting steps listed below may affect your ability to exercise Huber privileges immediately.

For more information, please contact a Social Worker at (608) 284-6091 or

Drug Testing

You will be required to submit a urine sample prior to being eligible for Huber release. If you test positive for alcohol or illegal drugs, you will not be released for Huber until a re-test indicates you are drug-free. You are subject to random drug and alcohol tests at any time during your incarceration.

How Will I Get to Work and/or Approved Appointments?

All modes of transportation while on Huber release must be approved by jail staff. Public transportation is the primary means of transportation, however, walking or bicycling may also be approved. Your bicycle must be registered to be approved for use. You are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle while on Huber release, for transportation or as a form of employment, without prior approval from the jail. If an outside party is transporting you in a personal vehicle, the authorized driver must have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and vehicle registration on file with jail staff before the ride will be approved. These documents can be brought to the booking/release window in the main lobby at 115 W Doty St. 

When Can I Start Going Out on Huber Release?

Prior to going out on Huber release, you will be classified and assigned housing in the jail. This process may take up to 48 hours to be completed. All activities on Huber release must be approved by jail staff and could take up to 5 business days upon reporting to jail before you are allowed out of the jail. You can begin the process of setting up the following Huber release activities prior to reporting to jail by contacting the Social Worker and submitting all required information at least 10 days prior to your report date or your OWI-3rd offense or greater sentencing hearing.


Complete and submit the  “Huber Employment Worksheet”. Pre-approved worksites must be in Dane County. Under special circumstances, consideration may be given to worksites in counties adjacent to Dane County. If you are self-employed, you must also provide a copy of your income tax returns for the last 2 years as verification. Not all employment is able to be approved, so it is best to submit the worksheet to the Social Worker as soon as possible.

Child and Family Care

Contact the Social Worker if you are interested in Huber release for child or family care. You must meet the eligibility requirements and provide the following:

  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of legal custody of the child
  • Child’s social security card
  • Employment schedule for any additional childcare providers on business letterhead including the supervisor’s signature
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of the schools the children attend and whether the children have any significant needs, such as medical
  • The method of travel to and from the residence

Educational Classes

Contact the Social Worker. You must show proof of registration and a valid class schedule from the Registrar’s Office. Additional study time away from the facility will be limited. The number of study sessions will be determined by the total number of credits taken and is granted on a case by case basis. 

Counseling Services

Contact the Social Worker regarding counseling, including but not limited to alcohol and other drug or mental health treatment.  You must provide a letter from the counseling service detailing times, dates, and places of all counseling sessions, as well as contact information. 

Job Search

If you are unemployed and want to seek employment, the Dane County Jail Job Center may be available to you after you report to jail to serve your sentence. You are required to have a valid state-issued identification card and social security card in order to obtain employment while incarcerated.

Interlock Ignition Device

If you are serving a sentence for Operating A Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated, you may have been ordered by the court to install an Interlock Ignition Device (IID). Unless the order was effective upon licensure, you are required to show proof of an IID being installed in all vehicles registered in your name within 14 days of sentencing. Failure to do so may result in loss of Huber privileges until documentation is received that the IID install has been completed or you were granted an IID exemption by the Court.