The information contained on this page is for general guidance only and is in no way intended to be legal advice. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney or other advisor as necessary.
1) Obtain a valid Writ of Restitution from Dane County Circuit Court. At the time of the eviction judgment, the court shall order that a Writ of Restitution be issued.
Make sure the Writ of Restitution contains the following:
Landlords are responsible for making sure that all the information contained in the Writ is correct. Review the Writ before leaving the Clerk of Courts.
*DO NOT ALTER THE ORIGINAL COURT DOCUMENTS, THE DANE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE WILL NOT ACCEPT ALTERED DOCUMENTS*
2) A Writ of Restitution is only valid for a limited time. The Writ of Restitution is valid for 30 calendar days from date of judgment and must be delivered to the Sheriff’s office within that time, under 799.44(1), (2). The Sheriff must act within 10 business days after receiving the Writ, under 799.45(5)(a). Deputies will advise the plaintiff of the expiration date after posting the Writ of Restitution.
3) Decide which type of eviction you want to do before delivering the Writ of Restitution to the Sheriff. Under -799.45(1), upon delivery of the Writ of Restitution to the Sheriff of Dane County, the plaintiff must notify us what way the eviction is going to be executed in regards to the defendant’s personal property:
Bonded movers: The plaintiff is responsible for all expenses associated with using bonded movers. The following bonded movers have met the criteria set forth by the Dane County Sheriff's Office:
CAPITAL CITY TRANSFER, INC.
JC PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, LLC
4) Please complete the forms listed below when you deliver the Writ of Restitution to the Sheriff’s Office. Once you have handed these forms into The Sheriff’s Office, they can not be changed.
5) When submitting the Writ of Restitution, the Writ of Restitution Property Memo, and the Writ of Restitution Aid in Service Memo to the Sheriff’s Office, you have two options:
6) Forced evictions are scheduled Monday through Friday starting at 8:00 a.m. and are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
To have a vacate order issued/posted or a forced eviction completed for a Writ of Restitution, the following fees will apply:
Pre-payment of Sheriff's fees will be required for all accounts with past due balances
Deputies will notify you after they post the Order to Vacate and are available to answer questions reference the eviction process.
Deputies can be reached at the following numbers:
West County Deputy: (608) 284-6819
East County Deputy: (608) 284-6818