The information contained on this page is for general guidance only and is in no way intended to be legal advice. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with an attorney or other advisor as necessary.
1) Obtain a valid Writ of Assistance from Dane County Circuit Court. This can be done any time after the Confirmation of Sale hearing. There is no standardized state form.
Make sure the Writ of Assistance contains the following
*DO NOT ALTER THE ORIGINAL COURT DOCUMENT. THE DANE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE WILL NOT ACCEPT DOCUMENTS WITH ANY ALTERATIONS*
2) A Writ of Assistance is only valid for a limited time. Once received, the Sheriff will have 60 calendar days to execute the writ. If it expires, the plaintiff will need to get a new Writ of Assistance from the Court and resubmit it to the Sheriff.
3) A forced eviction for a Writ of Assistance requires the plaintiff to hire a bonded mover. The plaintiff is responsible for all expenses associated with using bonded movers. The following bonded movers have met the criteria set forth by the Dane County Sheriff's Office:
CAPITAL CITY TRANSFER, INC.
JC PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, LLC
4) Submitting the Writ of Assistance: Please include a cover sheet with the plaintiff’s address and phone number for contact and billing purposes. Include any other information deputies may need to safely execute the Writ. Writs of Assistance may be delivered to the Dane County Sheriff’s Office by either:
5) Forced evictions are scheduled Monday through Friday starting at 8:00 a.m. and are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Depending on availability, deputies may provide the plaintiff with a specific eviction date upon request. It is the plaintiff’s responsibility to hire the moving company and pay for the movers. The Sheriff’s Office is not affiliated with any mover and we cannot make recommendations for any particular mover. However, the moving company must be bonded and pre-approved by the Dane County Sheriff’s Office.
Pre-payment of Sheriff's fees will be required for all accounts with past due balances
Deputies will notify the plaintiff after the Order to Vacate has been posted. If you have any questions, please contact
West County Deputy: (608) 284-6819
East County Deputy: (608) 284-6818