*Note: Each class meets multiple times.
Students should plan to attend all dates.
Registration is required prior to class. Complete the online registration form below or mail the same information contained in the form to:
Deputy Matthew Gueldner
Dane County Sheriff's Office
115 W. Doty Street
Madison, WI 53703
You will receive E-mail reply or telephone call confirming your registration. Parents must sign authorization paperwork at the fist class for students under 18.
Classes are a mix of adults and children. It is highly recommended that students be close to 12 years of age or older (due to homework and test requirements). Graduates receive a DNR boating safety certificate valid once the graduate is 12 years of age.
- The cost is $10.00, collected at class.
- Parents must sign authorization paperwork at the first class for students under 18.
- In addition to registering, all students must obtain a DNR customer id number by calling 1-888-936-7463. Bring this number to class.
- Please contact the instructor if you register and subsequently cannot attend.
- Students with special needs - Please contact the instructor at least two weeks in advance of the course to request special accommodations.
Questions about the Boat Safety Class can be directed to Deputy Matthew Gueldner.
Your registration is being processed.
Online Boating Safety Course Available
If you are unable to attend a class in person, an online version is available which can be completed at your own pace from the comfort of your home computer. Go to www.boat-ed.com/wi/, select the Wisconsin course and learn online! This course is intended for those over the age of 16. Completion of the online course will enable you to receive an actual Boat Safety Certificate.
The online course does not discuss specific issues and laws related to Dane County lakes. We recommend you sign up for a local class if possible. The cost for the online course is $29.50, as opposed to $10.00 for the Sheriff's Office class.